Chorizo y Huevos
I LOVE Fresh Eggs. I love pretty much everything about them, except cleaning them (which is the only downside of getting them fresh from the chicken). Luckily I live in an area where we know people who keep chickens, as well as have a pretty awesome Farmer’s Market come summertime.
Seriously… Look at those EGGS! They are GORGEOUS!
Not only are they pretty, but they keep longer, and as long as you don’t clean them till you’re ready to use them they stay naturally fresh on your counter (no need to refrigerate) for months. Last week (at work) a really really really nice Quilter (did I mention I work at a museum that is lucky enough to have several talented groups meet there?) gifted me with a carton of these beauties…. Which had me dreaming of Farmer’s Markets of the past…. and making Picnic Breakfasts to eat while we shopped.
One of my family’s favorites? A breakfast burrito stuffed full of Chorizo and Eggs wrapped securely in insulating layers of tin foil to keep it warm as they munch away. (Can you tell I’m chomping at the bit for warmer weather?!) With this in mind, I had to whip up a batch with those fabulous eggs… and it was quickly devoured with the dreams of nicer weather ahead.
This dish really isn’t that hard to make, it just takes a little time, effort, and then you find yourself eating delicious spicy tacos for breakfast! You can even make it quicker/simpler by omitting the potatoes… as well as customize it to your family by adding fresh salsa, cheese, and hot sauce!
8 Eggs (Farm Fresh if possible)
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 tsp Onion Powder or 1/4 Onion chopped
1 package of Spicy or Mild Chorizo
1 Potato (peeled and diced)
1/2 cup Vegetable/Corn Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional Add Ons:
Mexican Blend Cheese
Fresh Flour or Corn Tortillas
or Store Bought Flour and Corn Tortillas
1. In a small sauce pan heat up your oil, and fry your potato cubes. Drain and set aside when golden brown.
2. In another pan crumble your Chorizo (if you buy it in a tube, press it out of the tube to do this) and stir until cooked through. (If you are using onions, add them to the pan with the Chorizo and cook till soft.) When cooked through add in your potatoes.
3. In a bowl crack your eggs, and whisk with milk, onion powder, salt and pepper, until frothy and well combined.
4. Pour your egg mixture onto your chorizo mixture and let cook for a minute before stirring/scraping pan to mix well together.
5. When mixture is cooked through (no runny eggs), remove from heat and cover.
6. If you’re good at multitasking/have a helper you should have your tortillas going at the same time… If not, get them ready now.
7. Garnish as desired, and fill hot tortillas to fold into breakfast tacos/burritos…. Or serve family style.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe!
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.