Spent Grain Puppy Treats
Like I said in the review I posted on Chicago Brew Werks, Paul was brewing this weekend! If you’ve ever brewed, or know someone that brews there tends to be a big old pile of Spent Grains that you wind up as a waste product of the brewing process. I always feel bad throwing them out, and have taken to using the leftover grains in my garden as compost. However surfing the internet I found out people are using the spent grains in all sorts of ways, from making bread to making treats for their canine companions.
This weekend I decided to scam some of the spent grains for some cookies for our canines (Ignacio and Luna). The recipe below is found all over the net, and really does produce a great cookie for pets. Iggy loves them (so much I could not get a picture of him with one because he’d run off happily to munch them in his crate) and so does Luna (she was all about being the model for me today!). I hope this blog post has you trying this recipe, recycling spen grains, and sharing some baked love with your puppy (or friend/families canines)!
4 cups Spent Grains
1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
2 cups Flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Mix all of your ingredients together.
3. Roll out on a floured surface. Use whatever cookie cutters make you think of your companion! (Or whatever ones make you happy) The edges will be rough due to the spent grains, but I think it adds a rustic character.
4. Place your cut outs on a parchment papered pan and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Lower your oven temp to 225° and cook for another 2 hours to dry out your cookies.
6. Place your cookies on a cooling rack.
7. When cool package in an airtight container for a week, or in the freezer for a couple of months.
<3 Jenny, Ignacio, and Luna<3
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.